L'insegnamento prevede 1.0 CFU erogati con Didattica Innovativa come segue:
Blended Learning & Flipped Classroom
Corso di Studi
Codice Piano di Studio preventivamente approvato
Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - MI (491) MATERIALS ENGINEERING AND NANOTECHNOLOGY - INGEGNERIA DEI MATERIALI E DELLE NANOTECNOLOGIE
089459 - ADVANCED MATERIALS CHEMISTRY
054185 - CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS
Review fundamental chemistry (and physics) and organic chemistry concepts: bonding, molecular structure and reactivity.
Complement the study of some areas of chemistry such as main group inorganic and transition metal chemistry.
Highlight the basic concepts necessary to correlate structure and properties of materials.
Outline the relevance of these topics to materials science and engineering.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
After attending the course and after the final examination, the student will:
know and understand fundamentals in chemistry (including inorganic and organic chemistry main concepts)
know, understand and apply chemical bonding models and concepts
know and understand molecular symmetry concepts including the applications to molecular material properties
know and understand the structure and symmetry of crystalline materials.
know and understand intermolecular forces and the structure of molecular materials
know and understand coordination complexes structure and properties
know and understand basic concepts to correlate structure and properties of materials
The course has the following program:
1) Review of fundamentals in Chemistry. Knowledge of these topics represents a prerequisite for successfully attending the course.
2) Summary of atomic structure and periodic properties of the elements. Chemical bonding: revision of Lewis structures, VSEPR model and valence bond theory. Elements of molecular orbital theory.
3) Fundamentals in Organic Chemistry: introduction to main functional groups and reactivity; introduction to principle of the main instrumental measurements (partially flipped classes).
4) Molecular symmetry: point groups, irreducible representations and character tables. Applications of symmetry concepts to molecular orbitals.
5) Introduction to structure and symmetry of crystalline solids. Description and rationalization of representative inorganic crystal structures (metals, ionic and covalent solids).
6) Intermolecular forces and the structure of molecular materials.
7) Introduction to the chemistry of transition metals. Structure and thermodynamics of coordination complexes. Crystal field and ligand field theories.
Classroom exercises illustrating the use of scientific software for: (a) molecular orbital calculations (b) visualization of crystal structures.
Course slides and material
Slides and additional material for the course will be available through the BEEP web site: https://beep.metid.polimi.it/
A background in mathematics, chemistry and physics is needed
Modalità di valutazione
The final score of the Chemistry of Materials course (5 CFU) will be the averaged results of a written and an oral exam. The primer is passed whene mark is at least 15/30. The two exams may also be taken separately (i.e. in two different exam sessions), but must be passed during the same academic year (i.e. within the February session of the following year).
Weller, Overon, Rourke, Armstrong, Inorganic Chemistry, 6th edition, Editore: Oxford University Press, Anno edizione: 2014, ISBN: 019964182X Note:
Also ealier editions (named Shriver and Atkins' Inganic Chemistry) are okay