1. Urban renewal and planning: cultural basis, historic perspective and contemporary issues.
2. City Plan, urban project and building project: fundamentals and method; vision, concept plan, masterplan.
3. The multiscale approach: interrelations of the urban renewal and planning with regional projects/plans and with the building architecture.
4. Connections between the City Plan and other thematic urban plans (such as traffic, commerce, etc.)
5. Participation, negotiation and assessment (of the project and of the plan).
6. Main principles: sustainability, subsidiarity, perequation and compensation.
7. The emerging themes:
- renewal, regeneration, resiliency;
- transit oriented development;
- the public city (public spaces and facilities, mobility and green) and its feasibility;
- new trends for performing standards and criteria;
- densification versus sprawl;
- mix of uses versus zoning;
- social housing;
- reuse, lofts, subsoil cleaning, energy saving.
8. Transforming the places of production: industrial heritage, contemporary production districts, industrial tourism.
9. Place branding, great events.
10. The role of the urban policies (urban, cultural, environmental, taxation, etc) and their interaction.
11. Landscape as new development paradigm, an integrated approach.
12. Main reference cases and international best practices for the discipline innovation.
13. Government and governance.
14. The institutional tools in Lombardy at the urban scale:
- the city plan: territory government plan ( PGT); the case of Milan;
- the main planning tool for transformation areas (Integrated Intervention Program);
- the project quality assessment (environment, landscape, economic feasibility, coherence and contribution of the project to the city plan indications and strategies);
- Comparative analysis of structure, themes and technical solutions of some recent international City plans and masterplans
Urban renewal project of a transformation area selected by the professor: students are required to develop a basic masterplan and to provide and assess its integration with the surrounding context and its coherence with the city plan vision and strategies.