Ing - Civ (Mag.)(ord. 270) - MI (488) INGEGNERIA CIVILE - CIVIL ENGINEERING
099233 - GEOTECHNICS FOR ENERGY PRODUCTION
The aim of the course is introducing the students to the geotechnical and geomechanical applications associated to energy production and related fields. Standard theories in the field of soil and rock mechanics are applied to onshore and offshore developments for oil and gas applications, as well as to renewable energy source, such offshore wind and geothermal. When necessary, theoretical aspects not covered in classical geotechnical engineering courses are introduced, including poroelasticity, fracture and damage of rocks, soil behaviour under cyclic mechanical and thermal solicitations. The main design tools in order to operate in the field of Geotechnics for Energy applications will be covered.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
Students will acquire the knowledge to deal with some typical problems of Energy Geotechnicas, including borehole stability, hydraulic fracturing, sand production, in situ stress state determination, serviceability and ultimate limit states for offshore foundations, assessment of submarine geohazard and geostructures for energy production, with particular attention on the comprehension of the basic hydro-thermo-mechanical interactions between the soil/rock and the structures. The understanding of the aformentioned issues will be based on theoritical fundamentals related to failure behavoir of sedimentary rocks, poroelasticity and cyclic behavior of soils.
Student will then be able to:
- Characterize from the engineering point of view the behaviour of sedimentary rocks;
- Perform wellbore stability analysis;
- Determine the in situ stress state in reservoirs;
- Contribute to the design of hydraulic fracturing activity and sand production assessment as part of industry teamwork;
- Characterize of offshore sediments based on in situ and laboratory test;
- Analyse and design offshore foundation systems - both shallow and deep - according standard approaches well established in the offshore industry;
- Identify typical geohazard in relation to offshore infrasatructures, e.g. pipeline networks.
- Elements of poroelasticity;
- Geological aspects of petroleum related geomechanics;
- State of stress and faulting regimes;
- Laboratory characterization of mechanical and hydraulic behavior of sedimentary rocks;
- In situ characterization of state and hydromechanical behavior of sedimentary rocks (geophysical method - logs - and frac tests);
Applications: Petroleum related geomechanics
- Stress state determination from laboratory and field data;
- Stresses around boreholes. Borehole failure criteria. Elements of drilling and wellbore stability;
- Stability analysis of wellbore completion systems;
- Fracture propagation and hydromechanical behavior of fractured rock mass;
- Solid production;
- Subsidence and subsidence modelling;
Applications: low enthalpy geostructures
Applications: offshore geotechnics for energy production
- Elements of laboratory and in situ testing;
- Cyclic behaviour of marine soils;
- Geotechnical assessment of offshore foundations and pipelines.
Seminars given by engineers operating in the field on Energy Geotechnics will be part of the Course.
- Continuum mechanics and soil mechanics;
- Geotechnical engineering;
- Non linear constitutive modelling of geomaterials;
- Basics of structural engineering;
- Basics of engineering geology.
Modalità di valutazione
Assessment will include an oral exam and written take-home assignments. The former will aim to assess fundamental knowledge, whereas the ability to apply theoretical knowledge to practice will be evaluated through the latter.
Erling Fjar R.M. Holt A.M. Raaen R. Risnes P. Horsrud, Petroleum Related Rock Mechanics , Editore: Elsevier, ISBN: 9780444502605
Mark Randolph, Susan Gourvenec, Offshore Geotechnical Engineering, Editore: CRC Press, ISBN: 0415477441
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese