Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - MI (473) AUTOMATION AND CONTROL ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA DELL'AUTOMAZIONE
097470 - POWER ELECTRONICS AND SUPPLIES
The course covers semiconductor devices (Diode, BJT, MOSFET, SCR, IGBT), the main electrical energy power electronic converter types (AC-DC, DC-DC, DC-AC) and the design criteria for sizing converter according to different application.
The goal of the course is to give to students the capability to understand the theory and modeling (average modeling approach) of main power electronic converters, provide the sizing methodology and the basic of control method for power converter.
Numerical and practical exercises will complete the theoretical approach.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
Lectures will allow students to:
- be able to understand the semiconductor device behavior (linear, switching ideal-not ideal, losses calculation)
- understand the model of power electronic converter and the working principle
- use the average modeling method to find the input/output relation
- understand not ideal behavior like not continuous conduction mode, voltage and current ripple
- be able to choose different power converter topology according to final application.
The numerical exercises will allow students to:
- understand the sizing methodology
- approach typical design issues of DC/DC and DC/AC converter (component sizing and thermal analysis)
- be able to calculate converter efficiency.
The laboratory will allow students to:
- understand microcontroller based control system for power electronic converters
- define basic control rules for power electronic converter and approach the implementation
- test and experience the implemented control rules on small H bridge DC/DC converter.
Topic.1. Basic of Semiconductor power devices: diode, SCR, MosFet, IGBT, BJT, operating range and losses analysis
Topic.2. AC: Uncontrolled rectifier, controlled SCR based rectifier, single and three phase
Topic.3. Not Isolated DC/DC converter: Buck, Boost, Buck-Boost, SEPIC, discontinuous mode of operating, four quadrant H bridge converter, PFC rectifier.