Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - BV (483) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA MECCANICA
095120 - MATERIAL ENGINEERING FOR PRODUCT INNOVATION
Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - MI (491) MATERIALS ENGINEERING AND NANOTECHNOLOGY - INGEGNERIA DEI MATERIALI E DELLE NANOTECNOLOGIE
086849 - METALLIC MATERIALS AND PRODUCT INNOVATION
The course aims at describing fundamental issues on research in materials science with specific focus on recent development of metallic materials with specific functional and structural properties. A number of topics related to emerging materials will be object of the course. Students will also have the chance to work together in small groups trying to focus on a specific topic to outline a proposal of activities for a research and innovation project. The group activity is mainly aimed at developing the ability of preparing a scientific state-of-the art and at identifying original issues worthy to be investigated.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
After attending the course and after the final examination, the student will:
- know the physical and metallurgical principles responsible for the functional and mechanical properties of the metallic materials that are discussed during the course;
- know the methods to prepare a detailed description of a proposed study designed to investigate a given problem;
- be able to work in a group and to outline a research proposal by adequately using the material provided by the teacher and by an in-depth study of the state-of-art of a specific topic;
- be able to collect scientific information, to critically identify useful data, to propose original issues worthy to be investigated and to outline a work plan of the activities;
- be able to communicate the research proposal in an efficient manner by using an appropriate language and tools (for instance MS Powerpoint)
- Fundamental issues on research in materials science with specific focus on metallic alloys and recent development of metallic materials.
- Metal matrix composites and nanocomposites: matrices and reinforcements, strengthening mechanisms, production processes and properties.
- Shape memory alloys (SMA): superelastic and shape memory effects, stress-strain-temperature relations, medical applications and actuators.
- Materials for additive manufacturing: processes, opportunities, metal powder characteristics, material requirements, properties and defects.
- Metamaterials, lattice structures, metallic foams and their processing.
- Superconductors: material properties, preparation methods and applications.
- Thermoelectric materials: Peltier effect, Seebeck effect, material production and applications.
- Biodegradable metals: comparison, limitations and developments of Fe-, Mg, and Zn-based alloys for medical implants and stents.
- How to prepare an effective research proposal
- Work group on detailed topics
Fundamentals of metallurgy and physical chemistry
Modalità di valutazione
The examination is divided in two parts:
- a group presentation and discussion of the research proposal. Different aspects will be evaluated, namely the quality of the presentation, the ability to communicate the project idea, the originality of the specific research topic, the quality of the answers to the questions made by examiners.
- an oral discussion about the course topics. The student must be able to clearly describe and critically discuss the course topics.
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese