Des (Mag.)(ord. 270) - BV (1091) DESIGN & ENGINEERING - PROGETTO E INGEGNERIZZAZIONE DEL PRODOTTO INDUSTRIALE
097930 - SEMIOTICS
097930 - SEMIOTICS
097930 - SEMIOTICS
Semiotics is a wide approach to the analysis of meaning, reasoning and culture. The course examines theoretical questions on the manner in which the design of a message or product influences its meaning. Students apply the semiotic instruments to the analysis of a case study.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
Students: - applying knowledge and understanding: know and understand the methods for comprehending the circles in which the project intervention is inserted, as such they have to answer and know how to apply semiotic instruments for analysing the case study; - making judgements: autonomously knows how to critically evaluate a project application context and can return the analyses carried out.
The lectures will touch the following topics:
- introducing semiotics: an overview of the discipline, its methods and models, its potential role in design processes and thinking.
- The semiotics as a science of mediations: the complexity of culture phenomena and the layering of active mediations in culture meaningful sites; methodology: from signs to texts; from objects to practices; from strategies to lifeforms.
- The semiotics of objects beyond textuality and toward practices of use: ergonomics, prosthesis and interface. The semiotics of interfaces.
- From the matter to the diversity of the materials: a semiotic perspective.
- Meaning in interaction: the semiotics of valorizations within an ecological paradigm.
- The role of the body: perception, poli-sensualilty and field of presence; affects and tensions.
- Automata, devices, robot, instruments: for a semiotics of the machines.
- The relationship between semiotics and ethnography of design practices: debating Latour contribution.
- Case studies applying semiotic interpretative and conceptual tools.
There are no pre-requisites for attendance.
Modalità di valutazione
The final evaluation will be the average result of several intermediate moments involving:
- guided assignments during the course lessons (in class and home graded exercises);
- written test in class about the bibliographic materials;
- final written paper;
- oral final exam mainly aimed at discussing the paper and assessing the acquisition of a basic semiotic lexicon;
All the instructions concerning the final paper will be delivered on Beep.
Jacques Fontanille, The Semiotics of Discours, Editore: Petel Lang Publishing Inc., Anno edizione: 2006, ISBN: 0820486191 Note:
Best and updated introductory manual in Semiotics
Michela Deni, For a history of semiotics of design projects, Anno edizione: 2015 https://www.academia.edu/19830001/FOR_A_HISTORY_OF_SEMIOTICS_OF_DESIGN_PROJECTSAlvise Mattozzi, "A model for the Semiotic Analysis of Objects", in S. Vihma e T. Karjalainen (eds.), Design Semiotics in Use, Editore: Helsinki University of Art and Design Press, Anno edizione: 2010
Bruno Latour, ''Where Are the Missing Masses? The Sociology of a Few Mundane Artifacts'', in Wiebe E. Bijker and John Law (eds.), Shaping technology/building society : studies in sociotechnical change, Editore: MIT Press, Anno edizione: 1992
Bruno Latour, "A Cautious Prometheus? A Few Steps Toward a Philosophy of Design (with Special Attention to Peter Sloterdijk)", Keynote lecture for the Networks of Design meeting of the Design History Society Falmouth, Cornwall, Anno edizione: 2008
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese
In general, didactic materials will be made available by the teacher in a digital version, on Beep.