The course aims at providing both knowledge and sensitivity about the design procedures for the most common structural elements. A preliminary requirement for this is given by the knowledge of equilibrium conditions for the analysis of load propagation through structural systems; it is also assumed that the basic concepts from structural mechanics are known, in terms of stress and deformation states in the construction materials and simple structural elements. In this course, the principal construction typologies are presented with reference to common structural materials; after introducing the rules for the definition of the design actions, the methodologies in use for the safety verification of common structural elements are discussed. The expected learning objective has to do with the capability of defining the required size for structural elements under the effect of design load conditions; steel and reinforced concrete are the basic reference materials. It is also expected that students acquire simple design criteria for the choice of suitable dimensions for the structural elements, with a degree of sensitivity towards typical dimensional values. The computational tools developed in the course are subsequently applied in design studios to the analysis of complex architectural systems.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
According to the Dublin Descriptors (DdD), passing the exam certifies the acquisition of the following results:
DdD 1 knowledge and understanding
- knowledge of the tools useful for the conception of the structural schemes and the dimensioning of the structural elements.
DdD 2 ability to apply knowledge and understanding
- ability to define structural schemes and dimensioning of structural elements.
DdD 3 (autonomy of judgment), 4 (communication skills) and 5 (learning ability)
- ability to make design choices independently (DdD 3 and 5).
The course focuses on the design of structural elements and buildings with special reference to steel and reinforced concrete structures.
The objectives of the course are the students' knowledge and understanding of the main concepts of structural design, capability to present and explain the main procedures to design and check the main structural elements of buildings as well as to propose and discuss the main choices for a proper conceptual design of buildings.
Specific examples of structural design of elements and buildings will be carried out and discussed during the course.
1. Basis of structural design. Materials for constructions. Structural systems. Limit State Design method. Resistance of materials. Actions and load combinations. Introduction of structural analysis of beams and frames.
2. Design of steel structures. Material and section profiles. Structural systems and joints classifications. Structural analysis of beams and frames. Tension members and compression members. Design examples. Members subjected to bending moment and shear force. Design examples. Members subjected to axial load and bending moment. Design examples. Design of steel buildings: examples.
3. Design of reinforced concrete structures. Concrete and steel reinforcement. Structural typologies and reinforced concerete elements. Structural analysis of beams and frames. Ultimate limit state design: basic assumptions. Design for flexure. Design examples. Design for axial load and bending moment. Design examples. Design for shear. Design examples. Design of reinforced concrete buildings: examples.
4. Structural systems and conceptual design of buildings. Basic principles of earthquake resistant design for buildings.
No specific prerequisite
Modalità di valutazione
The exam consists of:
- a first written test (practical exercises and design examples)
- a second written test (theory and design applications)
A supplementary final oral test may be required by the teacher.
The same exam modalities are valid for both attending and not attending students.
Class notesEN 1991 Eurocode 1. Actions on structuresEN 1992 Eurocode 2. Design of concrete structuresEN 1993 Eurocode 3. Design of steel structuresEN 1998 Eurocode 8. Design of structures for earthquake resistanceP. Trebilcock and M. Lawson, Architectural Design in Steel, Editore: Spon Press, Anno edizione: 2003 Note:
available as e-book form campus computers
R. S. Narayanan and A. W. Beeby, Introduction To Design For Civil Engineers, Editore: Spon Press, Anno edizione: 2000 Note:
available as e-book form campus computers
L. Martin and J. Purkiss, Concrete Design to EN 1992, Editore: BH Elsevier, Anno edizione: 2006
R. Park and T. Paulay, Reinforced Concrete Structures, Editore: John Wiley & Sons, Anno edizione: 1975 Note:
avalilable at the central library
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione