Arc - Urb - Cost (Mag.)(ord. 270) - MI (1217) ARCHITETTURA E DISEGNO URBANO - ARCHITECTURE AND URBAN DESIGN
051520 - CONSTRUCTION AND SUSTAINABILITY DESIGN STUDIO
The goals of the Studio are: on the one hand, to experiment with the complexity of the design process, from the design to the realisation, by acquiring knowledge about the relationships between technological, energetic, environmental and structural aspects; on the other hand, to illustrate the cognitive, methodological, organizational and procedural tools in the different stages of the construction process, both for new construction and for building renovation. Since from the first phases of studio activity particular attention is paid to functional, constructive and environmental choices in relation to energy design and plant engineering.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
- gain knowledge and understanding of the tools and techniques for technological, environmental and installation design, in compliance with the current regulatory framework;
- are capable of coordinating in the design different construction issues respecting environmental, physical, regulatory and cultural constraints;
- are capable of providing a coordinated and multidisciplinary management of the technological, energetic-environmental and structural themes of the design, on the base of priority requirements, decisions anticipation and evaluation of the various available technical options and of the application of the tools to support design decisions.
This Studio will deal with performance-based building design. It will indeed encourage the adoption of a rational, evidence-based design decision process. This in the belief that the objective of designing requires the possibility to choose; and that the possibility to choose always requires the existence of at least two options. Which is a logical conclusion stemming from the conviction that theoretical knowledge, linked to the knowledge of the design options, is a fundamental component of the ability of organizing high-quality design ideas practically.
The activity in the Studio will take place on the basis of lectures, which will be organized in two thematic blocks, corresponding to the two disciplines around which the Studio is built, and revisions on the design drafts by the work groups.
The topics that will be dealt with in the module of Technological and Environmental Design will be the following ones:
- sustainable construction techniques involving the use of the main structural materials;
- criteria for climate and environmental appropriateness in building design and construction;
- criteria for the design and construction of building envelopes;
- design and construction criteria aimed at constructability;
- design and construction criteria aimed at durability;
- design and construction criteria aimed at environmental sustainability and environmental control.
The topics that will be dealt with in the module of Building Physics, Energy Design will be the following ones:
- relations between architecture and climate;
- solar control;
- simulation of the thermal behaviour of buildings;
- criteria for daylighting design;
- use renewable energy sources;
- energy balances and resource management.
Modalità di valutazione
The students will be asked to cluster in small teams (clusters of 3 persons will be encouraged) and work at the definition of an architectural project intergrated in its surroundings from the general conception to the definition of detailed solutions. This will require that the design process proceeds quickly in the very first phases, to slow down and increase resolution in the design phases entailing a detailed level of control.
An intermediate workshop will be held in one of the central days in schedule.
The final exam will take place on the basis of the final deliverables produced, which will be constituted by drawings on panels and by reports.
B. Givoni, Climate Considerations on Building and Urban Design, Editore: Wiley and Sons, New York, Anno edizione: 1999, ISBN: 0471291773
F.D.K. Ching, European Building Construction Illustrated, Editore: Wiley and Sons, New York, Anno edizione: 2014, ISBN: 9781119953173
A. Watts, Modern Construction Envelopes, Editore: Ambra Verlag, Berlin, ISBN: 9783990435595
S.V. Szokolay, Introduction to architectural science: the basis of sustainable design, Editore: Routledge Chapman & Hall, Abingdon, Anno edizione: 2008, ISBN: 9780750687041
N. Lechner, Heating, Cooling, Lighting: Sustainable Design Methods for Architects, Editore: Wiley and Sons, New York, Anno edizione: 2009, ISBN: 9780470048092
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese