The following objectives are foreseen in the course:
1) to provide students the basic understanding of the earthquake physics and world seismicity;
2) understanding the physical background of the interaction of seismic waves with the ground and with the structures;
3) understanding the fundamental concepts of structural dynamics with simple models of single-degree-of-freedom and multi-degreees-of-freedom oscillators;
4) understanding the background of seismic actions for design and assessment of structures;
5) to provide students open source software for the seismic analysis of structures and let them work on the seismic analysis of realistic structures;
6) introducing the basic elements to understand the seismic vulnerability of structures and to govern the seismic conceptual design of buildings;
7) introducing the concepts of capacity design of structures, exploiting their ductility capacity.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
At the conclusion of the course, the student knows methods and criteria for the seismic characterisation of sites and seismic zoning, the fundamentals of the dynamic behaviour of structures and the concepts of ductility and energy dissipation to improve the seismic resistance of structures; is able to solve simple, albeit realistic, applications using software for the seismic analysis of structures.
Detailed learning outcomes:
DD1) Knowledge and understanding
- Understanding how the physical process governing the earthquake ground motion affects the seismic response of soils and structures;
- acquisition of in-depth knowledge of seismic norms (especially Italian and European, but also worldwide) as regards definition of seismic actions for design.
DD2) Applying knowledge and understanding
- Mastering open source software for the evaluation of seismic response of structures;
- solving realistic complex engineering problems related to earthquake engineering.
Ability to make a presentation and defense of the technical results obtained within the homework assignments.
The first part of the course is devoted to the introduction to engineering seismology and seismic hazard. Specifically, some recent earthquakes and their effects on the natural and built environment are reviewed. Then, methods and criteria for seismic site characterization and seismic zonation are introduced, with a review of site effects, slope stability and liquefaction problems for microzonation studies.
In the second part of the course, after reviewing several examples of seismic damage to buildings, the fundamentals of the dynamic behavior of structures are introduced, in terms of the characteristics of response of the single degree-of-freedom oscillator, the definition of the elastic response spectrum, and the background for introducing seismic actions for design in different countries worldwide. Finally, concepts of ductility and inelastic energy dissipation for improving seismic resistance of structures are introduced.
Concepts are introduced with the support of practical applications during classworks, in which students will be required to put in practice what they learnt by using software for seismic analysis of structures.
No mandatory introductory corse is required, although students would benefit of introductory courses of structural mechanics.
Modalità di valutazione
The exam is oral, with a preliminary evaluation of the homeworks prepared by the students during the semester. Students are encouraged to prepare their homeworks in small groups (2-3 people), to improve their skills of team-working.
Haluk Sucuoglu, Sinan Akkar, Basic Earthquake Engineering: From Seismology to Analysis and Design, Editore: Springer, Anno edizione: 2014
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese