Ing - Civ (Mag.)(ord. 270) - MI (495) GEOINFORMATICS ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA GEOINFORMATICA
051264 - EARTH OBSERVATION
The course aims at making students aware of
1. the physical principles involved at all stages of remote sensing, as well as of the more commonly used platforms, sensors and data collection methods. 2. the basic image processing techniques (preprocessing, rectification, classification etc.) used in remote sensing data analysis.
The ultimate goal is to stimulate students' interest in remote sensing data and activities, which play a critical role in understanding our changing environment and sustainable development
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
Expected learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding
Students will learn
- the basic principles of electromagnetic radiation and its interactions with Earth surface materials and atmosphere;
- the general features of optical, radar and thermal data and their importance in remote sensing applications;
- the general features of image data, resolution, remote sensing platforms, sensors and common remote sensing satellite systems;
- the basic principles of image preprocessing (radiometric, atmospheric and geometric correction) technique.
Applying knowledge and understanding
Students will learn how to classify satellite images and to produce thematic maps
Students will learn to evaluate the accuracy of their results
Students will learn to report on experimental activities, to discuss the results obtained form the data analysis and quality assessment.
Lifelong learning skills
Students will learn a general processing scheme to derive useful information from Earth Observations
Topics of the course are:
1. Introduction to remote sensing 2. Basic definitions and laws of electromagnetic radiation 3. Satellites, sensors and data formats 4. Geometric correction or georeferencing 5. Atmospheric influence and radiometric correction 6. Histogram manipulation 7. Template filters 8. Band algebra and vegetation indexes 9. Components Analysis 10. The classification problem 11. Clustering and unsupervised classification 12. Supervised classification
13. Environmental applications of Remote Sensing
14. The ESA SNAP Platform
Exercises are based on the use of Remote Sensing software packages.
Modalità di valutazione
In order to assess student’s capabilities of applying what they have learnt ('Apply knowledge and understanding'), they have to select a case study (some case studies will be proposed by the teacher) and apply the proper data processing techniques and quality assessment strategies, according to the analysis goal ('Making judgements'). This work has to be presented to the teacher during the oral exam ('Communication'). Questions related to this presentation will be asked by the teacher who will evaluate in this way student’s awareness of the course topics (Knowledge and understanding'+'learning skills').