L'insegnamento prevede 5.0 CFU erogati con Didattica Innovativa come segue:
Cotutela con mondo esterno
Corso di Studi
Codice Piano di Studio preventivamente approvato
Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - BV (479) MANAGEMENT ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA GESTIONALE
097712 - ENERGY MANAGEMENT LAB
052896 - ENERGY MANAGEMENT LAB
The course deals with energy and environmental management under the perspective of integrating energy and environmental performance into company operations. The goals of the course are as follows: to assess from an economic perspective the adoption of technologies in the energy efficiency, renewables domains and smart grid domains; to discuss emerging technology and regulatory scenarios and business models in the energy value chain. Emphasis is given to the evaluation of energy performance within production systems, potential of energy-efficient technologies and services, analysis of the non-energy benefits, as well as life cycle assessment of products.
The course fits into the overall program curriculum pursuing some of the defined general learning goals. In particular, the course contributes to the development of the following capabilities:
Identify trends, technologies and key methodologies in the energy sector
Design solutions applying a scientific and engineering approach (Analysis, Learning, Reasoning, and Modeling capability deriving from a solid and rigorous multidisciplinary background) to face problems and opportunities in a business and industrial environment
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
The main expected learning outcomes of the course, achievable through lectures, practices and Project Work, consist of knowledge and comprehension of the main emerging business domains in the energy sector, i.e. renewable enegy, energy efficiency and smart grid domains, as well as of the practical abilities to analyse investment opportunities in such fields. In particular, the course will allow students to achieve knowledge and comprehension in order to:
- Describe and explain the main criteria, approaches, methods and mathematical formulations to economically evaluate investments in renewable energy technology;
- Describe and explain the main criteria, approaches, methods and mathematical formulations to economically evaluate investments in energy efficiency technology;
- Describe and explain the main criteria, approaches, methods and mathematical formulations to economically evaluate investments in smart grid technology;
- Identify, describe and analyse emerging trends in the energy sector and their implications in terms of managerial and organizational issues.
The course will also allow students to be able to practically apply the acquired knowledge and comprehension in specific problem settings, proposed during the course, leading to:
- Distinguish different contexts and requirements identified in specific problem settings, eventually being able to understand problems and opportunities and industrial environment and to formulate the goals in terms of performance targets and main design variables;
- Analyse the data sets provided within specific problem settings, to estimate the achievable performance and costs;
In the end, the students will:
- Be able to understand the main problems related to the evaluation of innovative technologies in the enegy field;
- Learn the reference methods and techniques to evaluation such innovative technologies iwithin a systemic and systematic approach;
- Acquire the basic knowledge to effectively interact with all the company experts and professionals in the energy field.
Economic assessment of investments in Renewable Energy Sources: Advanced tools and methodologies of economic assessment of investments in energy related industries; financing mechanisms (bank debts, bonds, project finance, …) in energy related industries.
Economic assessment of investments in Energy Storage Systems and other smart grid enabling technologies: Advanced tools and methodologies of economic assessment of investments in energy related industries; financing mechanisms (bank debts, bonds, project finance, …) in energy related industries.
Economic assessment of Energy efficiency technologies in buildings and industrial processes: Main sources of energy production and consumption in industrial buildings; critical analysis of available technologies for improving energy efficiency in industrial buildings; tools and methodologies of economic assessment of energy efficiency technologies.
Energy Scenarios in Italy and emerging business models: The concept of energy communities, integrating multi-sources production and consumption of energy; the concept of circular businesses (cradle-to-cradle) for reducing energy consumption and increasing resource efficiency; new technology and regulatory scenarios and business models in the energy industry.
Industrial energy use and efficiency: relevance of energy issues for corporate performance; opportunities for energy efficiency improvements in industry.
Energy efficiency measures in industry: main measures per sector, firm size; characterisation of the measures.
Assessment methods for energy efficiency: methods based on benchmarking with BAT/Ps; methods based on waste accounting. Case studies on energy assessment.
Adoption of energy efficiency measures: industrial decision-maker perspective; decision-making process; barriers; drivers; energy benefits and non-energy benefits. Case studies on barriers and drivers
A Project Work is integral part of the course. The objective of PW is to help students in applying the approaches and principles taught in class. Projects will be assigned through the semester. Project output (MS Word / PDF File + synthetic MS PPT presentation) are expected to be released at fixed deadlines that will be defined by the time the project will be assigned. The evaluation of projects will be based on the produced artifacts and on a presentation. The PW is supported by some tutors appointed by professors and eventual external companies supervisors.
No prerequisite (Topics covered within the course 097350 - MANAGEMENT OF ENERGY AND SUSTAINABILITY represent a useful background for this course)
Modalità di valutazione
The examination, to be taken in the scheduled dates, is a combination of a Group presentation on the content of the Project Work and an Oral test on the content of the lectures and practices and (admission only upon passing of the Group presentation).
The Oral test consists of a set of Theoretical (open) questions. In particular, during the exam, the students will have to:
- be able to describe, explain and apply the main criteria, approaches, methods and mathematical formulations to economically evaluate investments in renewable energy technology;
- be able to describe, explain and apply the main criteria, approaches, methods and mathematical formulations to economically evaluate investments in energy efficiency technology;
-be able to describe, explain and apply the main criteria, approaches, methods and mathematical formulations to economically evaluate investments in smart grid technology;
- be able to identify, describe and analyse emerging trends in the energy sector and their implications in terms of managerial and organizational issues.
With reference to the specific kind of test on the content of the course:
- The Oral test with theoretical questions on the content of the course aims at highlighting the knowledge of the student and her/his capacity to understand knowledge;
- The Oral test with questions aims at highlighting the capacity of the students to make links among the topics of the course and of previous courses capacity of the student to understand and apply the knowledge, to autonomously assess the situation, and her/his capacity to communicate.
The mandatory Project Work assignment is an assignment requiring to apply concepts and theories discussed during the course. The students, in groups, must understand the present situation of the two companies, and check the alignment of their operations with their market segment. Using presented during the course, they are required to interpret the differences in the Operating Systems of the two companies, in the light of the different requirement of the two market showing their ability to read the present situation, to know the relationship between the characteristics of the operations and the consequent performances, and very the alignement performances required by the target market segment.”
Slides and other classroom material related to lessons and tutorials Available on the Beep web-site of the coursehttps://beep.metid.polimi.it
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese