Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - BV (483) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA MECCANICA
097480 - INDUSTRIAL PLANTS A
097524 - INDUSTRIAL PLANTS C
The Course aims at giving the student the necessary knowledge and technical tools to critically approach industrial plants design. In particular, the course involves the identification and assessment of different planning solutions in the three phases of the design process: industrial plant design, implementation, and management, with a particular focus on their interaction. Real-life examples are offered for most of the topics even by case studies and testimonials from companies.
The course targets the following goals, within the broader context of the programme, so as to empower the student capabilities to:
- understand context, functions, processes and performance, with reference to the industrial plants;
- design solutions applying a scientific and engineering approach, with reference to the industrial plants.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
With reference to the selected goals at the programme level, the expected learning outcomes of the course relate to each student being able to:
- know and understand the general principles and laws/methods/models for industrial plant design, implementation, and management;
- identify in a systematic way the relevance of the contextual factors, functions and processes with respect to the performance of a project, of a plant as a whole, or of a component, based on the learned general principles and laws/methods/models;
- set up and solve a problem related to a project, to a plant as a whole, or to a component, applying the general principles and laws/methods/models for industrial plant design, implementation, and management.
Industrial plants: introduction and general concepts.
Feasibility study: market analysis, production systems design, capability, cost analysis, investment appraisal, risk and sensitivity analysis.
Industrial layout: product analysis, material flows and relationship analysis (rel-charts), layout planning, Muther model.
Location problem: contextual factors, strategic directions, methods and criteria.
Strategy of operations: strategic priorities, production policies, competitive goals of a production system (cost, quality, flexibility, service level).
Quantitative methods for industrial plants design: simulation as a tool for industrial plants design (from concept to detailed design), Discrete Events Simulation (DES).
Occupational Health and Safety: principles, risk assessment and management techniques, OHS management, principles and techniques for system safety.
Industrial storage and material handling systems: conveyors, loading systems, Automated Guided Vehicles (AGV), traditional and automatic store systems.
Air conditioning and heating systems: criteria for design, human thermal balance, types of industrial systems.
EPC contractors: Engineering, Procurement, Construction companies, organization and business models.
Project management: introduction to project planning, control, costs and risks; softwares and tools.
The contents of the Industrial Plants C course are those until Occupational Health and Safety included.
Modalità di valutazione
The final grade will be based on a written exam and, depending on that assessment, on an oral exam, which have to be held in the same call.
The written exam consists of a set of questions to answer (to check knowledge and understanding) and quantitative problems to solve (application abilities); their assessment equally takes into account the formal development and the quantitative/qualitative content, so as to appraise the capability of each student to:
- identify the relevance of either contextual factors, or functions or processes with respect to the performance of a project, or of a plant as a whole, or of a component;
- set up and solve a problem related to a project, or to plant as a whole, or to a component.
On voluntary basis, an in team project work about the topics of the course could be proposed so to contribute to the final assessment.
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese