Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - BV (483) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA MECCANICA
090672 - OPTIMAL MECHANICAL DESIGN AND FEM
The course aims at developing design skills in the framework of precision machine design, with focus on the design of machine tools.
By applying the finite element method to the design of machines and their components, modern design methods are presented and developed.
In parallel, optimal structural design is presented. Methods for the optimal design of structures and mechanical parts (choice of materials, optimization of strength and stiffness) are applied to case studies, mainly in the field of machine tool design.
Dimensioning and selection of standard components (e.g. guides, bearings) is also addressed.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
Lecture and classwork aim at developping students' knowledge on the principles of precision machine design and the following appliction capabilities:
- to model the mechanical behaviour of machine tools
- to solve structural optimization problems autonomously, applying concepts of other disciplines (e.g. solid mechanics, vibrations, mechaincal behaviour of materials)
- to design the structure of a machine tool
- to communicate results in an effective and technically correct manner.
The Finite Element Method: review of fundamentals and advanced topics (stability, non linear analyses, plasticity)
Optimum design: theory of optimization and practice (structural optimization based on the Finite Element Method)
Design of machine tools by the Finite Element Method: optimization of a component of a machine tool (group work)
Choice and dimensioning of components: focus on machine tool components like guideways, bearings, actuators, gears, etc.
Machine Design and fudamentals of machine tools
Modalità di valutazione
During the course, students are asked to work in small groups on one assignement. By the end of the course, they have to hand in one report and give a final presentation.
The students have to present a report on the design of an optimized tool machine component (group activity).
The exam consists of an oral test, during which the report is discussed and questions asked about the design theories, principles and methods.
The assignement will address the re-design, in the prespective of optimum design, of the structure of a machine tool.
The evaluation of the report and the oral exam aim at assessing:
- the ability of the student of solving structural optimization problems autonomously, also demostrating the skill of identifying links with other disciplines and applying the corresponding concepts
- the abilty of communicating the results in an effective and technically correct manner
- the knowledge of the principles of precision machine design, with focus on machine tools
- the ability of designing the structure of a machine tool.