The course aims to transfer knowledge, tools and approaches to understand and practice design strategies and service design logics.
The main perspective takes in account the specific context - the Integrated Product Design Master degree â€“ and so considers and starts by the product as the main offering part of a whole offering system. Strategic design considers at the center of the attention the product-service system intended as the integrated system made by products, services and communication that companies and organizations leverage to build the brand identity, to position it, to serve the market and to create value for the stakeholders system.
Product is considered in both terms: as value asked by users to fulfill a specific need; on the other hand the product is often an service enabler where the distinction between tangible and intangible offering parts blur.
The course specifically starts with the basic concepts of strategic design and then considers how the digital transformation impacts the way companies manage design strategically and creates value. Â
Strategic design is framed indeed according to different dimensions: a way to create differentiation; a process to manage innovation dynamics; an approach to create sense and storytelling in order to entice new users; a way to humanize and boosting the new technology diffusion.Â
Students by the end of the course are expected to:
- frame a business problem with the lens of strategic design
- conceptually handle the basic concepts
- understand and distinguish the strategic design approach of different organizations
- create a design strategic path given specific business goalsÂ Â
The course is characterized by a strong theoretical part, a project work and some didactic innovative experiments based on students active involvement to create a strategic map about what is happening in the business world through the lens of design. Â Â
The theoretical part will be divided into the following parts:
- The basic of strategic design and service design
- Design strategies: goals, business logic, innovation effort
- Design management: pillars and dynamics
- Design execution: from vision to product-service system implementation
For each area lectures will provide:
- main concepts and frames
- business cases
- tools and methodologies
- meeting with key informants/design manager
The project work will drive students to create a strategic design plan for a chosen company (with the Professor support).