Contents of course
Educationally it is believed that architecture has its own way of expression in the project, whether the project of a new building or the design on an existing building. In particular, we are interested in the relationship between man and space. The habitable space , constructed and defined by architectural elements that surround it, will be understood as a complex system of links, not only a functional one.
The course is intended as a training for the eyes, giving the students the tools necessary for reading and understanding the existing city and its stratified nature: paying attention to the materials and details of architecture, to read “written history” on the building with awareness that architecture is also created by people who live and change it.
The transformations that have led to the current situation will be read and interpreted as well as elements that, apart from an arbitrary value judgments, enrich the architectural heritage.
This new way of looking and listening requires us to respect all signs deposited on the existing city and is expressed by a design able to give a value and a meaning to the space transmitting a deep knowledge of the building.
The course aims to lead the students to a learning process, from the knowledge project to the management of the construction site, to undertake the issue of preservation of buildings, from a theoretical and technical point of view.
- the work, organized either individually or in small groups as needed depending on the students number, will take place continuously in the classroom during the day and will be constantly verified through presentations and group discussions;
- the workshop modality, where for several days continuously, in classroom or staying on the site, is considered valuable to fit in some specific academic year period a significant design development;
- attendance is mandatory and is required to participate in all classes, verification in progress, workshops, as well as the consignment of all tasks given;
- the proposed work starts from an exercise thought for the development of an interior design able of redefining the link between the building envelope and the furniture equipment in a set co-operating and working together; then we will devolop a whole project to be carried out on a specific site, to put in place the dynamics of comparison with the concrete reality;
- the sketch, technical drawing by hand, study models, are necessary tools during the first phase of analysis and development design;
- basically in the final papers a high graphic quality, including digital and a precise manufacturing quality of the models as well as the photography and computerized presentations are required.
R. Rizzi, Civilization of living. The evolution of European domestic interiors, ed. Lybra Immagine, Milano 2004.
Cultural Heritage Policy Documents (The Getty Conservation Institute website): http://www.getty.edu/conservation/publications_resources/research_resources/charters.html#1960;
ICOMOS-ISCS:Illustrated glossary on stone deterioration patterns, (Monuments and Sites: XV),2008, 2010; Electronic Version [PDF, 6.64 MB].
Further bibliographical references may be provided during the course.