Objectives and course content
The course aims to provide the theoretical tools and practical methodologies for understanding the microstructure and mechanical properties of composite materials and technical textiles. Particular emphasis will be given in particular to the structural analysis with the finite element method applied to materials with anisotropic behavior. Case studies will be presented for calculation of structural elements related to aeronautic, naval, industrial and civil.
Description of the topics covered:
· Examples of applications of composite materials in the various fields of structural engineering, with particular reference to the problems of material depending on the specific area of application (aerospace, naval, and civil).
· Composition, microstructure and properties of the main types of fibers and matrices used for the manufacture of composite materials, basic geometric structures and composition of composite materials
· Ply sequences and laminates and their relation to the mechanical behavior and processing techniques (autoclave molding, pultrusion, filament winding, RTM)
· Experimental characterization of the properties of composite materials with reference to current standards
· Laminate structures: finite element modeling, choice of the characteristics of the elements, specific issues and design criteria.
· Mechanical properties of the technical fabrics: stiffness and strength of the fiber and the fabric. Applications of technical textiles.