Arc - Urb - Cost (Mag.)(ord. 270) - MI (1217) ARCHITETTURA E DISEGNO URBANO - ARCHITECTURE AND URBAN DESIGN
051520 - CONSTRUCTION AND SUSTAINABILITY DESIGN STUDIO
The goals of the Studio are: on the one hand, to experiment with the complexity of the design process, from the design to the realisation, by acquiring knowledge about the relationships between technological, energetic, environmental and structural aspects; on the other hand, to illustrate the cognitive, methodological, organizational and procedural tools in the different stages of the construction process, both for new construction and for building renovation. Since from the first phases of studio activity particular attention is paid to functional, constructive and environmental choices in relation to energy design and plant engineering.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
- gain knowledge and understanding of the tools and techniques for technological, environmental and installation design, in compliance with the current regulatory framework;
- are capable of coordinating in the design different construction issues respecting environmental, physical, regulatory and cultural constraints;
- are capable of providing a coordinated and multidisciplinary management of the technological, energetic-environmental and structural themes of the design, on the base of priority requirements, decisions anticipation and evaluation of the various available technical options and of the application of the tools to support design decisions.
CONSTRUCTION AND SUSTAINABILITY DESIGN STUDIO (Technological and Environmental Design 6 cfu, Building Physics – Energy Design 4 cfu)
In the Construction and sustainability Design studio students are requested to experience the complexity of the design process from the former conception to the detailed drawings. The students will learn to control the relationship between typological, technological, structural and environmental requirements.
During the Design Studio the students will learn the conceptual, the technical and the methodological tools as well as the procedures to use during the different stages of project development.
In the Construction and sustainability Design studio a particular attention will be paid – up to the initial stages of the project - to environmental and constructive choices with reference to energy (mainly passive solutions for heating, cooling and lighting) and the design of technical installations.
Expected learning outcomes are the ability to develop a sustainable project that could be properly built.
The project will be oriented to the retrofitting and the extension of an existing building built in the 70es using prefabricated solutions. The extensions will be designed using light building technologies and dry connections and should have a 0 energy balance (consume – production) and a low CO2 emission.
The Lab consists in lectures and workshop activities.
The steps of the work will be the followings: concept design, preliminary design, detailed design.
The aim of the course is to experiment the project design progress complexity through several specific formative keys as:
the interdisciplinary habit;
the developing of right motivation and scheduled time decision-making capacities;
the focus on technical-economic-operative feasibility attitude to design the whole technological project system till the executive form.
At the end of the Studio, students are supposed to demonstrate their acquisition in knowledge and competence on technological design elements coordination and control, structural conception, and building physic performance evaluation as properly requested by their own project.
Modalità di valutazione
The students of the Studio Lab will design their buildings through three steps:
- a preliminary design (first phase) is focused to promote the strategy, the objectives and the proposed solution;
- a definitive design (second phase) is focused to demonstrate that the proposed solutions are appropriate and work properly
- a detailed/executive design (third phase) with the final drawings, the required calculations and the estimated energy consumption. The third step will be presented at the end of the course.
Final exam will be a public oral discussion with teachers about the results obtained by students in their studio project elaborated during the whole semester.
Norbert Lechner, Heating, Cooling, Lighting: Sustainable Design Methods for Architects,, Editore: John Wiley & Sons Inc Note:
A book with similar contents is available in Italian: Rogora A., Progettazione bioclimatica per l'architettura mediterranea, Wolters kluwert Italia, Milano, 2012
Szokolay, S.V, Introduction to Architectural Science, Editore: Elsivier Ltd Note:
A book with similar contents is available in italian
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese
Selected bibliography will be given to the students for specific topics