Ing Ind - Inf (Mag.)(ord. 270) - BV (483) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - INGEGNERIA MECCANICA
098503 - SMART STRUCTURES AND DEVICES
094910 - SMART STRUCTURES AND DEVICES
The course is an advanced course about smart structures for vibration control and energy harvesting. The target of the course is to teach some of the most recent developments in this field, providing to the students both the modelling theory and the physical interpretation of the phenomena.
The course will focus in particular on those cases related to the interaction between mechanical structures and piezoelectric actuators, describing different solutions starting from simple linear systems and then analyzing more complex cases involving electrical shunts, non-linear cases and active elements (refer to the course topics for more details).
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
The students will be expected to manage the modeling of mechanical structures coupled with piezoelectric actuators, in particular for the purpose of energy harvesting, wave guiding and vibration control of mechanical structures (knowledge and understanding; applying knowledge and understanding).
Moreover, thanks to the project report, the students will be able to autonomously manage a simple project, including project development (modeling, math computation, component choice) (applying knowledge and understanding; making judgements), synthesis of the results, presentation of the results both in written and oral way (communication skills).
The course will cover some of the recent advancements in the field of smart structures. In detail,
- Piezoelectric actuators and their interaction with mechanical structures
- Energy harvesting through piezoelectric actuators: linear and nonlinear cases
- Effect of real harvesting circuits vs ideal ones
- Other techniques for energy harvesting from mechanical vibrations, such as aeroelastic energy harvesting
- Metamaterials and metastructures for vibration attenuation and mechanical wave guiding
- Wave focusing and wave guiding for energy harvesting and vibration control
- Bio-inspired actuation using piezoelectric actuators
Some knowledge on dynamics of mechanical systems (discrete and continuous) is recommended, but not strictly mandatory (some recall about the topic will be provided at the beginning of the course).
Modalità di valutazione
There will be a course project, developed by the students during the course under the supervision of the course assistants. The project will be developed in small groups. The exam consists in the evaluation of the project and in particular of the following elements:
- written report of the project, describing the work done and the results obtained by the students to check (applying knowledge and understanding; making judgements)
- presentation of the project, plus questions and answers on the project work itself (communication skills)
The overall evaluation will depend on all these elements, paying attention to all the steps of the project development and presentation (modelling, analysis of the results, report quality, presentation, answers to the teachers' questions)
Nessun software richiesto
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di supporto didattico in lingua inglese