Arc - Urb - Cost (Mag.)(ord. 270) - PC (1085) SUSTAINABLE ARCHITECTURE AND LANDSCAPE DESIGN - ARCHITETTURA SOSTENIBILE E PROGETTO DEL PAESAGGIO
053246 - SOCIOLOGY OF THE ENVIRONMENT
The teaching examines, from a sociological perspective, the urban dimension with particular reference to: communities, towns, big cities, the wider area; social stratification and urban and wider area communities; the urban key players (public and private); social order and the main trends within contemporary post-industrial societies.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
- gain knowledge and understanding of social sciences, with particular reference to the development of communities, cities, metropolitan areas and territories;
- gain knowledge and understanding of stratification, social change and the principal trends in contemporary post-industrial societies;
- are capable of interpreting the physical space with particular reference to the recent socio-economic and socio-institutional transformations of cities and territories.
The overall aim is providing the ability to integrate into your projects/research the theoretical and methodological tools given by Environmental Sociology
To understand, communicate and discuss main concepts and perspectives in Environmental Sociology
To acquire a qualitative research method to integrate local knowledges/local actor’s perspectives in your research/projects
To critically consider the relevant and reciprocal relationships between the environment and society
To collaborate with your peers to discuss and present papers, and to communicate your research results
Main course topics:
- Modernization and the emergence of Sociology, Durkheim-Weber-Marx, Urban Issues.
- Different paradigms in Environmental Sociology: Human Ecology, the environmental crisis, the New Ecological Paradigm, Ecological modernization, Reflexive modernization
- Contemporary Urban issues in current Environmental Sociology
- Governance and Risk Governance, including Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction
- Local knowledge inclusion and Stakeholder engagement in Risk Governance
- Qualitative research: ethnography and case study research
- Qualitative research techniques: interviewing and walking interviewing, fieldwork and observation
- How to practically design, project and undertake qualitative research in a real scenario.
Modalità di valutazione
The exam includes a paper discussion, a fieldwork research and a final written test.
Attendance at the lessons is free but the frequency will be recorded in class.
The assessment procedures and the program for attending students will be communicated at the beginning of the course.
BURNS, T.J. and CANIGLIA B.S., Environmental Sociology: The Ecology of Late Modernity, Editore: Mercury Academic, Anno edizione: 2016 Note:
ONLY CAP. 2, 3 and 6
CRESWELL, J.W. and POTH, C.N., Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches, Editore: Sage publications, Anno edizione: 2018 Note:
ONLY pp. 41-63 (Cap. 3); 90-110 (Part of Cap. 4); 160-176 (Part of Cap. 7), 181-198 (Part of Cap. 8) - it will be provided at the beginning of the course
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione
Insegnamento erogato in lingua
Disponibilità di materiale didattico/slides in lingua inglese
Disponibilità di libri di testo/bibliografia in lingua inglese
Possibilità di sostenere l'esame in lingua inglese