Ing - Civ (Mag.)(ord. 270) - LC (437) CIVIL ENGINEERING FOR RISK MITIGATION
094804 - RETROFITTING DESIGN OF STRUCTURES SUBJECTED TO SEISMIC LOADING
The course focuses on structural earthquake engineering with special reference to 1) the design of building structures for earthquake resistance and 2) the seismic assessment and retrofitting of existing structures.
Risultati di apprendimento attesi
The objectives of the course are the students’ knowledge and understanding of the main concepts of seismic design, assessment and retrofitting of structures, capability to present and explain current and developing seismic design philosophies as well as to propose and discuss different strategies and techniques for seismic rehabilitation and retrofitting of structures. Specific examples of seismic design and retrofitting of buildings will be carried out and discussed.
Knowledge and understanding: knowledge of the main concepts of behavior, design, analysis and retrofitting of structures subjected to seismic actions.
Applying knowledge and understanding: know how to develop the seismic design and retrofitting of structures by means of suitable software tools complemented with ad hoc computations.
Making judgments: ability to identify the critical issues of design and retrofitting of structures in seismic areas, and to propose and discuss different strategies for problem solving.
Communication skills: ability to clearly present and explain the main aspects of seismic design philosophy as well as different strategies and techniques for seismic retrofitting with appropriate motivations.
Learning skills: ability to autonomously increase knowledge in comparison with what has been taught during classes.
- Earthquakes and seismic action. Conceptual design of structures for earthquake resistance. Strength, stiffness, ductility. Main structural deficiencies and failure modes of members and buildings.
- Methods of analysis for seismic design and assessment of buildings. Structural analysis for seismic design and assessment of buildings.
- Seismic design and detailing rules for reinforced concrete structures. Capacity design and ductility. Detailing and dimensioning of RC members. Beams, columns, beam-to-column joints, shear walls.
- Seismic design and detailing rules for steel structures. Moment resisting frame. Concentrically braced frame. Eccentrically braced frame. Beam-to-column connections.
- Seismic assessment and retrofitting of existing structures. Retrofitting strategies. Stiffening, strengthening, ductility increase. Selective retrofitting interventions. Innovative methods for seismic protection of new and existing structures. Base isolation and energy dissipation.
- Seismic design and retrofitting of buildings: application case studies.
Some examples of seismic design and retrofitting of buildings are carried out during the course. Students are then required to produce a report of this work.
Basic concepts of Structural Design and Dynamics of Structures.
Modalità di valutazione
The exam consists of an oral discussion of the report done during the application classes and questions on theory and applications.
Main expected results: students’ knowledge of theoretical issues; understanding of the relevant methodologies for the design and retrofitting of structures in seismic areas; capability to perform seismic analysis, design and retrofitting of structures; ability to clearly present and explain conclusions.
Class notes and slides of the lessonsEN 1991 Eurocode 1: Actions on structuresEN 1992 Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures EN 1993 Eurocode 3: Design of steel structuresEN 1998 Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance
Tipo Forma Didattica
Ore di attività svolte in aula
Ore di studio autonome
Laboratorio Di Progetto
Informazioni in lingua inglese a supporto dell'internazionalizzazione