Knowledge and understanding
Students will learn:
1) how the Systems Engineering method is applied to control system design.
2) he strength and weakness of different modeling approaches.
3) the basic tools to desing and implement control systems
Applying knowledge and understanding
Given specific project cases, students will be able to
1) implement analyze and simulate a nonlinear dynamical model
2) quantitatively describe the uncertainty affecting the model
3) translate qualitative requirements into performance and robustness requirements for Multiple Input Multiple Output systems. design a MIMO controller.
4) implement the designed control system on a given architecture.
5) validate the proposed design
Given a relatively complex problem, students will be able to:
1) Analyze and understand the goals, assumptions and requirements associated with that problem and model them
2) choose the most suitable modeling approach
3) find a proper way of quantify the uncertainty
4) choose the most suitable control architecture
Students will learn to:
1) Present their work in an oral format
2) Defend their design choices.
Lifelong learning skills
Students will learn how to develop a realistic project and manage the typical trade-offs of design projects.