Obiettivi e contenuti del corso
The course aims to provide advanced operational skills in the realization of digital electronic systems and in particular high-speed digital circuits, whose design poses significant challenges due to the ever-increasing speeds of digital signals and devices.
By combining and extending the competences of fundamental digital electronics toward designs that involve high-speed digital signals, students are prepared for the challenges awaiting them in the realization of the most modern electronic systems.
High-speed is interpreted to mean circuits where the bandwidth of the involved signals triggers effects detrimental for the information, such as reflections, cross talk, switching noise issues and related phenomena.
Course topics include signal integrity issues related to the transmission of wideband digital signals, communication buses at state-of-art for transfer rate and bit-error rate, configurable devices based on spatial and temporal computing, and finally advanced and innovative strategies of data storage.
Descrizione degli argomenti trattati
PART 1 - SIGNAL INTEGRITY
- Signal and Power Integrity — Fundamental principles of distribution network design for signal and power integrity with topics at the forefront of contemporary digital electronic systems design.
- Noise and Grounding — Principles of decoupling and grounding in high-speed circuit design techniques for maintaining wide dynamic range with low noise in hostile digital environments.
- PCB Layout — Specific physical layout requirements for high-speed performance and power and layer planning with high speed specific rules. Mixed-signal systems design issues.
PART 2 – COMUNICATION BUSES
- Design and testing methodologies driven by high-performance buses
. Forefront architectures of buses
- Ancillary service buses
PART 3 –CONFIGURABLE COMPUTING DEVICES
- Temporal computing philosophy and DSP devices.
- Spatial computing philosophy and FPGA devices.
- General purpose processors.
Organizzazione del corso e modalità di verifica
The exam consists of a written final test. There are not partial exams during the course.