Objectives and contents of the course
The course deals with the topics of configuration and management of production systems. The first part of the course introduces a taxonomy of the most common production system, together with a model to assess manufacturing performances and operating conditions. Then, the topics of configuration, sizing, buffering of production flow are presented, with a special concern on process industry, manufacturing and assembly systems. The second part deals with the production planning and control process of production systems. Techniques, models and tools are presented for the various planning phases of: demand forecasting, aggregate production planning, stock management, material requirements planning and production scheduling. A special issue on Japanese manufacturing technique is also included.
Description of contents
Introduction: types of production systems, profiles of classification of production systems,
Performances: The performance of the production processes. Performance effectiveness (quality and service) and efficiency (productivity and flexibility). The measurement of the production capacity and its increase by means of buffers. The lead time and Little's Law. Application cases.
Production process: The configuration of production systems for the process production. Principles of sizing, choices of centralization and decentralization, interaction with management variables. Application cases.
Manufacture: The configuration of plants for parts manufacturing. Principles of sizing and advanced techniques. The group technology method. Application cases.
Assembly: The configuration of assembly systems. Principles of sizing in cases of automatic and manual assembly. Application cases.
Production management: Introduction to production management. objectives, constraints, decision variables, significant costs for decisions. The phases of the process of planning and production control.
Demand analysis and forecasting: The demand forecast. Examples of models and forecasting techniques. Case studies.
MPS: Aggregate production planning. Examples of optimization models and solution techniques. Case studies.
MRP: The materials planning. Push approaches: the technique MRP. Pull approaches: stock management techniques: areas of application. Application cases.
Scheduling: The operational planning of production: performance measurements, and reference models for the main production contexts. Application cases.
JIT: The Japanese production techniques: the JIT, kanban and the philosophy of Kaizen.
Tutorials are made by exercises based on application cases of the content of the lessons.
Course structure and examinations
Credits are obtained after passing a written and oral examination related to the topics declared in the official program of the Course.
Information resources and literature:
Slides and other classroom material related to lessons and tutorials are available on the Beep web-site of the course: https://beep.metid.polimi.it
Books for lessons:
- T1 (Textbook on the first part of the course): M. Garetti, Design of production systems, Franco Angeli, Milano 2015.
- T2 (Textbook on the second part of the course): AAVV, Management of production systems (ISBN: 9781308406824), selection of chapters from McGraw-Hill books.
Books for tutorials:
- T3 (Textbook on tutorials): M.Garetti, N.Duque, G.Tavola, Design and Management of Production Systems: Tutorials and Case Studies, FrancoAngeli, Milano 2011.
Lessons (in Italian):
- Portioli, A.Pozzetti, “Criteri di progettazione dei sistemi produttivi”, HOEPLI.
- Brandolese, A. Pozzetti, A. Sianesi, “Gestione della Produzione Industriale”, HOEPLI.
- Sianesi A. La Gestione del sistema di produzione, ETAS.
- De Toni A.F., Panizzolo R., Villa A., Gestione della produzione, ISEDI.
Tutorials (in Italian):
- E. Cagno, R. Mangiaracina, G.J.L. Micheli, A. Trianni, ”Progettazione e Gestione degli Impianti di Produzione – Esercizi”, CUSL.
- Amici di Franco Turco, Esercizi di gestione della produzione industriale, CUSL.
Curricular supplements (recommended): Management and industrial Engineering (Impianti di Produzione e Organizzazione d’Impresa), Mechanical plants ( Impianti Meccanici).