The cultural, disciplinary and didactic conception of the Building Technology Studio is outlined with reference to the communication and application of knowledge, of operational instrumentality and of all the knowledge related to coordination, management and resolution of the architectural project within the contemporary international and professional context.
On these fundamentals, the didactic formulation of the Studio aims to teach and to pursue the distinguishing features of a training focused on the culture of the architectural engineering, on vocational training aimed at both project and building planning, and the necessary skills regarding both managing and processing of morpho-typological, functional, structural, executive and appraising contents.
In this framework, the technical development of the project, considered and used as a tool for understanding, exploration and action, is carried out according to the synergistic combination between theory and practice: this is done through explanation and exercise based on the analytical and operational apparatus aimed at coordinating, controlling and monitoring the building, the structures and the economic valuation procedures.
Operational and application framework
The Building Technology Studio will be carried out through the design layout applied to an existing building
, characterized by:
- the location within a micro-urban area defined by infrastructural, spatial and fruition experience transformation;
- the opportunities of morpho-typological, expressive and structural upgrading (aimed at an interactive, multifunctional and multi-user fruition experience);
- the morpho-typological and functional upgrading procedures of external and internal spaces, according both to the needs (environmental, spatial, fruitive) of transformation of the destinations of use, both the legislative instruments, legal and regulatory context of the construction
Themes for study and application
The aim of the study and application refers to the design, structural and estimate process and executive project of a building section (considered as an “architectural insertion” of limited dimensions) as a new building to connect, correlate and aggregate to the preexisting construction, according to:
- the study of the composition and expression principles related to the functions and the typological characteristics of the existing buildings;
- the environmental, energetic and technical-executive study, through the analysis and execution of both the systems, the components and the constructive interfaces, and of the devices required for the operation of the thermo-hygrometric lighting;
- the analysis and execution of the foundation and elevation structures (horizontal, vertical and roofing), related to the morpho-typological, functional, energetic and land-use composition;
- the technical-economic assessment referring to:
a) the land-use criteria, the principles of morpho-typological, functional and energetic composition;
b) the application of the construction systems, components and technical elements.
The aim of the study and the application relates to the development of design and execution, structural and estimate, of envelope/cladding systems (in substitution and/or “aggregation” to the building). The theme of processing, directed to morpho-typological, functional and energy transformation of the building, involves:
- the architectural and executive study according to the analysis and the application of the envelope/cladding technologies adapted to expressive and physic qualification. The study focuses on the adoption of construction instruments, systems and engineering devicesable to configure the sustainable functioning (assubstainable performances) of the building;
- the structural study according to the analysis and the application of the envelope/cladding technologies about the execution of frames, frameworks and interfaces connected or aggregated to the building;
- the estimate study according to the analysis and the application of the envelope/cladding technologies with the evaluation of the contents related to production and execution.
The concept of the Studio is established on scientific basis, considering the teaching activities as a “guided” process in controlled conditions by teaching in the classroom. Thus the morpho-typological, functional, structural and estimate studies and applications are provided according to the teach & train method that involves:
- the combination of theoretical lectures and simultaneous applications in the classroom. The teaching activities cover entirely the assigned timetables, excluding procedures for the assignment of tasks and the subsequent “review” in the classroom;
- the process of tutorial teachingby professors and collaborators with direct application in the classroom (as an architectural atelier-studio).
Moreover, the teaching conception considers basic learning and preparation through the realization of a “logbook”, staff for every student, characterized by notes and manual drawings related to the lectures and applications